A favorite summer food - yes, I consider funnel cakes food! We found a great recipe for this favorite treat, just like the ones you get at a local fair.
Our recipe comes from Moms Who Think. This recipe makes cakes that are light and fluffy. The recipe is simple to follow and it doesn't take a lot of time.
You'll be the best mom on the block with this treat.
2/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. In a deep skillet, heat about two cups of oil over medium-high heat. Test the temperature by dropping a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away without smoking, it's perfect.
2. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
3. Using a funnel, drop batter into hot oil working from center outwards in a web pattern. (You can use a gallon size freezer bag instead of a funnel by pouring the batter into the bag and snipping off a small corner.)
4. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.
5. Place on waiting paper towel and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
This recipe is definitely a 'keeper'!